If you have a passion for yoga or your a beginner yoga student then you will be pleasantly surprised as we review a set of yoga mats that you can use at home or take to a class at the gym that men and women love using.
We have a a wide range of prices for everyone’s budget but all of them have high start ratings so you can’t go wrong with any of the mat.
We’ll touch base on mats for women and men as well as looking at mats what will work great for hot yoga classes. So let’s get started here and figure out what type of mat will work best for you!
Our Top Yoga Mat: Manduka Pro
Out of the 7 yoga mats on this page, manduka is my favorite. Once it’s broke in it will last the longest and sticks the best. It’s truly a 5 star mat.
Top Yoga Mat Comparison Table 2017
|Jade Harmony Professional|
|Jiva Non-Slip Yoga Mats|
|Manduka PRO Yoga and Pilates Mat|
|The Combo Yoga Mat|
|Yoga Mat by Youphoria|
Yoga Mat Buying Factors To Consider
Before we dive into the reviews let’s take a look at some key buying points you will want to consider to pick the best yoga mat for your personal goals.
Yoga Mat Thickness – This is a big one for many people. As you get more experienced in your yoga skills you will want to go for a mat that is thicker versus a really thin matt. The extra thickness is great for long 90 minute classes, helps when you are landing back on the balls of your feet coming down from a move like a warrior 3 position and other yoga poses. Overall it’s a more comfortable experience.
Color – This might sound a bit off but honestly, if you are spending your hard earned money, why wouldn’t you want to get your favorite color. 🙂 Some of the Yoga mat manufactures are limited in colors by the way.
So, if you want a color that is not the standard blue or black you need to know which manufacture has the extra yoga mat colors. Any men looking for yoga mats will want to get a color that is more masculine. So, it’s nice to know you have extra color options to choose from.
Material – is another factor you will want to consider when buying a yoga mat. There are actually mats made that are not the standard memory foam and are made of cork and rubber. So, another option to consider.
Yoga Carrying Case – this one is a nice to have if you are actually doing yoga classes outside your home. It really comes in handy if the yoga mat has a built in handle or carrying case so you and easily take it along with your other gym equipment.
Our Top 7 Best Yoga Mats 2017
Jiva Non-Slip Yoga Mat
If you are a big sweater and you are tired of slipping around on your yoga mat doing downward dogs then this mat is for you! The mat is made out of memory foam that is a 1/4 inch thick. This will give you plenty of padding and is great on your joints as you are doing your yoga sequences. The mat itself has a waffle design on it that forms small indentions across that mat that help your hands and feet stick to it.
Also included is a free carrying strap and a mesh bag that gives you easy options to carry it to the yoga studio or yoga classes at your local workout gym.
Pros: Let’s look at the features for the Jiva No Slip Mat:
- The memory foam is really think at 6mm that will give your joints plenty of comfort when landing from poses.
- They have a unique design on the mat that gives you extra grip.
- I love the fact that they included a yoga carrying strap with it. This is great for people not doing yoga at home and most of the other brands are making you buy this extra.
- 68 inches in total length by 24 inches wide.
- While not a bad thing about that mat at all, it comes in 3 colors which are blue, purple and black.
- The mat is meant to be used on one side. So, you need to make sure you roll out the right side to get it to lay flat.
- A few customers mentioned that even tho it says 1/4″ thick, that t seems a bit thinner than that.
This is an awesome beginner yoga mat hands down and the price is absolutely right! You get a few carrying strap with it, the non stick surface is great, it has the right thickness and has at least 3 color options to choose from.
Combo Yoga Mat
I wanted to include this one here not only because of the positive reviews but you have some really cool options for the designs on the yoga mat itself. It’s not a standard one color design. As we all like to be unique, this is one mat that will let you stand out in the class with a new yoga mat design.
The other unique selling point is that yoga design lab decided to use a microfiber material for the top layer that is then glued together to a rubber mat that is 3.5 mm thick. This is brilliant because the microfiber absorbs the sweat produced during class and allows the surface to remain clean and sticky.
The material is really light weight and machine washable so you can keep it clean as you get several weeks into the use of your mat.
Pros: Interesting features about the Combo yoga mat by yoga design lab are
- It is 74″ in length x 24″ wide weighing in at 4.1lbs.
- Comes in really cool and designs to stand out from the crowd
- Microfiber top layer is really absorbs the sweat to keep the surface free from slipping.
- Biodegradable tree rubber.
- Comes with a carrying strap.
- You can use it for Bikram, hot yoga, pilates, sweaty practice
- It will need washed time from time. Not a big deal. It’s simple. Wash it in cold water on a gentle cycle with no bleach.
- It’s a bit heavier than standard mats if you will want to travel with this.
The construction is unique by using the microfiber layer and also adding in a unique color designs that are different from the solid color yoga mats. It’s priced in the middle range and has plenty of positive comments that you can definitely consider looking into doing more research on it and looking for using it in yoga classes.
Aurorae Classic Thick 6mm Yoga Mat
Aurorae is a small family owned yoga business who takes pride in making specialized yoga mats for their yogis! What is really special about their brand is that they took great efforts to make their mats easy to care for, orderless and eco-friendly.
That mat is actually 74 inches in length, 24 inches wide and 1/4 inch think. It’s their believe that a thinner mat is better for balance poses and easier to do the yoga sequences vs a thick yoga mat.
Pros: Aurorae Classic features to take not of are
- Developed a new rosin to make that mat that is not toxic, does not contain rubber, latex or silicone and does not emit any toxic chemicals or gases. This is great for anyone allergic to rubber or latex.
- It is Oeko-Tex 100 Tested and Approved.
- Comes with a rosin bag to apply on the mat if you want to use it when it gets slippery.
- It does not include a strap by customers commented that when it is rolled up it’s only about 4 1/2 inches and is very easy to carry.
- If you are a thick mat lover this might be too thin for your personal choice.
Another great choice that does the job, is owned by a small business who cares about customer satisfaction, several positive customer reviews, the length is longer than normal and a big selling point is that it doesn’t have that rubber order smell. It has several color options as well to choose from. You can read more in detail below.
Yoga Mat by Youphoria
Is a mat that is free from Phthalates and latex so that you have a mat arriving at your door oder free. It’s made of high density memory foam that is 1/4″ thick, 72 inches in length and 24 inches wide.
Pros: A few key features of the Youphoria Mat are
- Eco-friendly yoga mat that is oder less.
- Contains a black elastic strap to carry it.
- Comes in 4 different colors, black, pink, green and blue.
- It is a two sided mat. One side has larger circles that help keep it from slipping on smooth services.
- Some comments on that they user could feel the floor when doing certain poses. If you need more padding to do your exercises then this could be an issue for you. Especially if you are doing any kneeling exercises.
This is a great entry level mat and the price is at the very low end of the spectrum. It would be a great mat to start out with, to use at home. Remember this is a 1/4″ mat so if you want a thicker one go with another choice like the Manduka pro. There are a ton of positive reviews about this product from previous owners. I would say a great beginner yoga mat to start with but not necessary for people a bit more serious.
Yoga Jade Harmony Professional
Jade has been making yoga mats since 2002. Their yoga products are no strangers to anyone who has been doing yoga for any length of time. Jade’s premium yoga mat is made of natural rubber that contain no pvc or substances that would be harmful to the ozone.
This is one of the thinnest yoga mats we have review yet but don’t let it fool you that it can’t do the job. Because they went with the natural rubber option, it has open cells in the material that provide a natural slip resistance surface and it does not compress as easy either. It essence you get the padding you would have out of a thicker mat and you actually get a better surface for your hands and feet to stick as the mat gets wet.
Pros: Buying points to note of the Yoga Jade Harmony Professional are
- There are 9 colors to choose from and they come in 68″ or 74″ in length, 24″ wide.
- Material made of natural rubber with open cells provides better slip resistance.
- Has been on the market for years and is established.
- Needs to be washed every now and then with mild soap and water. It should hang dry but not in direct sun light.
- It does have a rubber smell to it that softens over time.
- Buy yoga strap separately
I’m a little torn on this one given that you’ll have that rubber smell. If you get passed that this mat has been a favorite for years. It’s backed by one of the leaders in the industry, has multiple length options and several color options. If you are doing hot yoga sweating a lot and worried about slipping in your poses then this is a choice you really need to consider because of how the surface is made that allows your hands and feet to grip easier. You can read more about it below in detail.
Aurorae Synergy 5 mm Thick Yoga Mat
The Aurorae Synergy mat is Thick 5mm mat that has a microfiber surface bonded on the top of the mat. You can actually save yourself from buying a microfiber yoga towel with this style of mat that you would use in hot yoga, hatha yoga, piyo workout classes or hot bikram classes. The goal of this combination of material is that the microfiber gets more sticky as it gets wet. It was developed specifically for hot yoga.
Pros: Some of the features associated with the Aurorae Synergy
- It is Oeko-Tex tested and approved.
- It is a long thick yoga mat at 72 inches and 24 inches wide.
- Great for Hot Yoga classes as it gets more sticky the more you perspire.
- Combines a hot yoga microfiber towel and a think 5mm matt all in one.
- Complaints of losing the stickiness from customers but they are really forgetting that it is recommended to spray the mat with light water before you start and it gets sticker the more sweat gets on it.
- You will have to wash this every few weeks.
If you are into hot yoga and really want a mat designed for it, this is your mat. It is light weight despite being a 5mm mat. You will need to buy a yoga strap for it though as it does not come with one. Overall this is a great mat. You can read more in detail about it below.
Manduka PRO Yoga and Pilates Mat
This is considered by many the best yoga mat out on the market because of it’s durability and how comfortable the mat is to use. This mat is idea for hot yoga because of the design. The small cells on the mat are actually closed so the sweat will not seep into them. This keeps bacteria from building up in the mat. It will require you to have a yoga towel by so you can wipe off the mat during class.
The standard mat is 7.5 pounds where as the extended mat is 9 lbs. This mat will easily stay in place on carpet, hardwood floors and even cement floors. A side not here. People get confused about the lengths of the mat. The standard is 71″ x 26″; 6 mm thick and the extra long version is 85″ x 26″; 6 mm.
Make sure you are selecting the right length if you purchase this thick yoga mat.
Pros: key features that stand out about the Manduka PRO are
- Over 8 colors to choose from.
- You have a choice between different lengths of mats.
- Extra think cushion and mat thickness. Great for people with sore joints.
- Customers have had one mat last years. You don’t buy a new yoga mat each year!
- Heavy duty and rolls out flat. Works great on smooth floors or carpet.
- There were some complaints that the mat was slipper. You could tell these people did not season the mat. You need to follow the directions about applying pure rock salt to it and cleaning it. If you do this as described on the website you’ll get the mat so your hands are firm and feet are firm during the posses.
- It’s a higher end mat and will cost more than a cheap 5mm yoga mat.
- It’s heavier than regular mats. If you have to carry this along ways you might be a little frustrated. Just remember the thickness and how the product was made is why it’s heavy.
This is a top rated yoga mat for men or women. There are several customers who love the mat because it lasted so long and customers with knee issue really gave positive comments about how it helped them do the long yoga classes without any issues.
The main point about buying this mat is that you need to follow the directions on seasoning it to make the surface stick like it is supposed to. Once you do that you are golden. It’s heavier than the others but honestly who cares. It’s meant last for years and once you purchase this mat you won’t be buying another yoga mat for years.
See more about seasoning the mat and a detail review below.
Summary of the Best Yoga Mats On The Market
At this point I hope you have enough information that you know more about what type of yoga mat you need for your yoga workouts. The yoga mat that I would recommend is the Manduka PRO because of so many people saying that it last for years, it’s a heavy and durable mat that will roll out flat and is made to be slip resistant. You can learn more about it here on amazon or click on the information below to see more customer reviews about it.